Casole d’Elsa , an ancient Etruscan settlement, is a village located on the back of a hill that offers the visitor a highly suggestive panoramic view of the Sienese countryside. In the 11th and 12th centuries, it was a fief of the Bishops of Volterra and in 1260 it passed under the dominion of the Sienese. Being a place of strategic interest, in order to defend it from external attacks, it was subsequently necessary to erect new fortifications, including two round towers that still exist, assuming the characteristics of a village surrounded by its walls.
The medieval village has also received the award of the Orange Flag of the Touring Club.
Institutional website of the Municipality www.casole.it